Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Changing Face Of Black Metal?

     Over the years much has been written about the evolution of Black Metal since it's "rebirth" almost 25 years ago. While I am not some super grumpy elitist that will pine about all of the change and diversity that the genre now hosts, what I do miss is the "early" diversity. Euronymous himself was the one who stated that Black Metal is not a sound, it's an aesthetic, if a band plays extreme metal, and has Satanic lyrics, then it's Black Metal. In those early days bands as diverse as Mercyful Fate, Venom, Gorgoroth, Master's Hammer, Root, Mayhem, and Emperor were all branded as Black Metal. If you are a well listened fan, you know among those bands listed there, the diversity is amazingly broad! I am not of agreement that the music has to be Satanic in order to be Black Metal(it really does help, though), but that is the diversity in the genre that I miss.
     These days there is still a lot of diversity, you have bands as broad as The Meads Of Asphodel, Yellow Eyes, Twilight Fauna, Iter Pactum, Vassafor, Hermodr, and still there is Darkthrone. BUT, where are the Mercyful Fate's, the Root's(no not the hip-hop band), and the Master's Hammers'? I do agree that the main ingredient of Black Metal is atmosphere, and ALL of those former bands have it heaps. But if Mercyful Fate dropped a new "Satanic Magnum Opus" on us today, would anyone call it Black Metal? Are today's bands more atmosphere and no substance?
      I also lament the loss of the original aesthetic, the wearing of corpsepaint, the woodland photos, the whole aura of mystery behind it. I find myself facing the same dilemma that the Norwegians had back in the late 80's/early 90's. I go to Black Metal gig, and yes, the band might be amazing, but who wants to stand there and see 4 dudes in T-shirts and jeans stand motionless and staring back at you? I miss the element of danger at a Black Metal show! That feeling of not knowing what the band themselves were capable of, let alone the audience. Even those bands who have proven confrontational in the past, with "true" Black Metal stage shows; Mayhem, Gorgoroth, Watain. We already know exactly what they are going to do, and at what point in the show it's going to be done.
       So, at 25 years in, will there be a renaissance? Will bands by the hundreds start embracing those original philosophies? Will there be churches burnt all across America this time? I seriously doubt it, but I do feel there has to be some sort of "revival" or this genre that I(and you) love so much, will burn itself out, hell it's real close now. In my opinion, it's becoming a clone of the whole "post rock/shoegaze" scene of the 90's( I remember it well), and that scene imploded in less than 5 years. Will anything change? Who will be the heroes? Will Black Metal finally become a thing of the past, something that becomes an urban-legend of sorts that fratboys talk about at keggers? I would love to hear what YOU think?


No comments:

Post a Comment